COVERING UP THE JERSEY HISTORICAL CHILD ABUSE INVESTIGATION
LET US NOW LOOK AT THE ROLE OF THE JERSEY STATE MEDIA
FIRST UP CTV
THERE IS A CONNECTION BETWEEN CTV, JOURNALIST DAVID ROSE & D/SUPT MICK GRADWELL
As you might be aware D/Supt Mick Gradwell declined to give evidence to the Home Affairs Scrutiny Sub Panel (HASSP). Quite remarkable really when you see what he gets up to during this posting. CTV also declined to give evidence to the 'HASSP'. One of the main reasons these two didn't come and give evidence is simple (in my opinion). They knew they had been caught out. Someone started asking questions. How could they explain the 2 programs they aired in September 2009. I want to explain to my readers exactly what is going on here hence the interview with VFC.
First up you must remember that the HISTORICAL CHILD ABUSE INVESTIGATION was still live in 2009. In fact it didn't get closed down until the end of 2010
That's what makes the actions of Mick Gradwell & CTV appear even more despicable than they already are.
LET US BEGIN
First up a timeline.
The 2 programs
1. Ist September 2009 - CTV ran with - Abuse inquiry has cost £20m
2. 3rd September 2009- CTV ran with -How was £20m abuse investigation bungled
3. 4th October 2009 - Daily Mail article appears with the Headlines 20million Shambles - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1217863/Bungled-Jersey-child-abuse-probe-branded-20million-shambles.html#ixzz1eGPYfGOP
So there we have the two programs. What jumps out at me straightaway and differs from the normal CTV offering is how professionally the Gradwell Interview is conducted. This is a properly staged interview. Gradwell has his Sunday best on - he is sitting in a nice studio - he has moody lighting - two camera angles and a very high opinion of himself.
One very important factor is that we don't hear who is conducting the Interview. We only hear Gradwell talking. Where was the challenge as to what Gradwell was saying? There isn't any. This is shambolic. The whole two episodes are nothing more than "OPINION MANAGEMENT" The two programs were brilliantly done. Lets be honest here. There can be no doubt that people believed the waffle coming out of Gradwells mouth. The reporter even talks about findings that was in the BDO Report. This was all staged. I just cant see how it was done without the full co-operation of CTV. .
On the 4th October 2009 one month after these programs were aired Journalist David Rose wrote an article in the Daily Mail called "Bungled Jersey Child Abuse probe branded a £20million Shambles".
This is the infamous article where Mick Gradwell was leaking drafts of Police Consultant Mike Kelletts work to David Rose. This is not a coincidence . The CTV and Rose articles all in the space of one month is not a coincidence. This was a properly managed media blitz on Opinion Managing the people of Jersey's take on the 'HCAE'. Who organised this? There isn't a chance that Mick decided to do this all on his own. Now do you see why he stayed away from the Scrutiny hearings. What could he say? How could he justify it? He would have to take the blame. That is why it's important that CTV get dragged before the 'COE' and explain their reporting on such an important issue. They are not alone in their trashing stance. I will leave the JEP till last .
D/Supt Mick Gradwell was the Senior Investigating Officer of the 'HCAE'
The Abuse Survivors trusted this man to do the best by them. He gives it large with CTV and leaks to the man trashing the 'HCAE'. Have any of our local media tried to track him down and get an interview? He has got to explain himself on his abhorrent actions.
Remember what Karin Rankine said in her letter to Ben Shenton
"An increasing number of online community sites, blog sites and other content sources will unquestionably find their place within society. However the fundamental principles which underpin the delivery of authoritative and credible news are unlikely to change.
Those principles of quality journalism which encompass accuracy, impartiality, fairness and legal knowledge underpin the role that the ‘traditional’ media plays in our society and is the basis of those news services provided by existing public service broadcasters and which remain highly valued within our society."
"So while the internet has challenged the idea of journalism, the need for in-depth research and reporting does not disappear. Our role as a public service broadcaster carries with it responsibilities to our viewers and to those involved in our reporting. And it is those responsibilities which distinguish our service from certain new types of ‘citizen media’ or blog sites that we see emerging at both a national and a local level."
These are some of the findings from the Scrutiny Sub Panel
The Whole Report can be read here. It is a must read for anyone who has an interest in the Jersey Historical Child Abuse Investigation
- • It is clear from the evidence we have received that Mr. Gradwell was responsible for leaking information from draft sections of the work which Mr. Kellett had prepared for the BDO Alto review. The information was published in an article in the Mail on Sunday in October 2009 but it also appears to have been made available to Channel Television for a programme in September 2009. Mr. Gradwell also gave an interview to the Jersey Evening Post in which he voiced extensive negative comments on the investigation carried out by his predecessor which he labelled ‘a poorly managed mess’. The disclosure of information from the review of financial management was then part of a broader criticism of the investigation by Mr. Gradwell.
- Mr. Gradwell’s views on the investigation were already well known. As Senior Investigating Officer he had been a key figure in the press conference on 12th November 2008 which had called into question the previous direction of the investigation.
- Mr. Rose had previously written a number of other articles critical of Mr. Harper’s conduct of the investigation going back to May 2008 (18.05.08; 24.05.08, 15.11.08). In May 2008 he made a reference to the ‘leaked’ cost of the investigation (£6.5milion) but did not develop any criticism. In his article in November 2008 in which he interviewed Mr. Gradwell he stated that the police were said to be concerned at the enquiry’s profligate spending (eg decision to send two officers first class to Australia and a £100,000 bill for the use of Eddie the sniffer dog). In the course of the article he stated that he had obtained confidential documents including an email from Mr. Harper and the official log book kept by the forensic science team.
- Channel Television also appeared to have access to information from the review into the financial management of the HDLG enquiry. In their two programmes in September 2009 they interviewed Mr. Gradwell on his retirement and referred to a number of specific details from the BDO Alto report such as dinners in specific London restaurants, overnight stays for one hour meetings and the failure to appoint a finance manager.
Below is the 3rd part of the CTV Interview with D/Supt Mick Gradwell. It is a must watch. His little smirk at the end is very telling.
My first Interview can be watched here -RICO SORDA
All im doing here is looking at the evidence and forming an opinion. I believe that this was a proper orchestrated piece of 'OPINION MANAGEMENT'. This was not just the work of Mick Gradwell. The States Communication Unit could well have had a hand in this. This was about trashing an Abuse Investigation and protecting the image of Jersey. The most important people in all of this - The Abuse Survivors-
have been treated with utter disdain. When and where have the local media come out on their side? When and where have our local media done a balanced piece of reporting?
The evidence speaks for itself
The ruling elite don't want a Committee of Enquiry
You don't need to be Einstein to work out why